60% 60% 
[ 3 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 5

Characters in ruling positions.

Post by Hyfnae on Tue May 23, 2017 3:47 pm

Dear Roleplayers.
This isn't particularly relevant yet but I want to bring player characters as rulers under the attention.

Player characters in the RP have the opportunity to raise to power, become king/queen or whatever the ruler of your planet area is called.

At the same time this brings a lot of potential challenges for the player character involved and we (as RP mods) would appreciate your input of how to handle player characters in positions of power. Systems can be applicable in multiple layers (Locally/regionally/nationally or even if a player character becomes the CEO of a big company.)

I'm looking forward to your ideas how to handle characters in such position so we can get an idea how you would like to see this done. Thank you in advance.

Hyfnae

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Characters in ruling positions.

Post by Nijaki on Tue May 30, 2017 6:29 am

I went with delegating duties to other officials to remain involved in the RP. You're right in that being an acting ruler can add some unique and fun challenges to plots, and I think that players of the characters should have some say in what those challenges are and possible resolutions, just like with any other character. But I also think they should work closely with the mods and make sure those plans would be allowed and that they won't disrupt the flow of the overall plot, since having an entire ruled area's resources and power at their disposal could easily disrupt the game if not kept in check.

As for having proxies run government systems while a character is away at school, there are real-life situations that support that being plausible. Many rulers through history took the crown when they were babies or otherwise just unfit to rule as they were, so actual decision-making was handled by advisors and officials until the crowned individual was actually capable of taking those duties on. And someone had to be in charge when kings and sultans were out of the country for diplomatic reasons or at war. I don't see why something similar couldn't be done in RP when a character is at school getting an education or is busy saving the entire magical dimension. Not to mention all the delicious conflict that can arise from said proxies trying to abuse their power.
Nijaki

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top